Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Monito!!

That's Spanish for 'little monkey,' and it was indeed a little monkey!!

I was sitting at Iain and Liz's house (they are the directors of the Children's Centre) having a lovely cup of British tea this afternoon, when Guildy rushed in and said, "Oscar has the tiniest monkey ever!!" Oscar is a local Honduran who lives in the little house next door to ours and works in the hospital's chaplain's office.The wee monkey came from a tree near the bilingual school about 1/2 a mile up the road from our house. I'm still not exactly sure of the details of how Oscar came to aquire it, but it wasn't an orphan. He was just bringing it by to show the kids, who felt obliged to feed it some milk. And, of course, the kids all loved it!!I tried to get a good picure of its hands and feet, which were HUGE in proportion to its body. Rather than having 4 fingers and distinct thumb, it had 5 anatomically similar fingers, and its hands and feet were basically the same. And it had finger nails very similar to people's.
I wouldn't let Guildy and Hadley touch it (can you spell zoonotic diseases!), but Guildy did get her picture taken with it.

Oscar and the baby headed back to its tree to return it to its mother.
After all the monkey excitement, I got a good picture of Nora and the kids. She was our neighbor when we lived in San Luis in 2006, so she is one of our oldest Honduran friends. Maria and Juan are the other kiddos. They are siblings and have been at the Children's Centre for about 3 years. Maria loves babies and is super sweet with Talby.

1 comment:

almadecolor said...

Why is it that I am always gone when people find AWESOME creatures? OK, so I was there for the kinkajou...but I didn't have camera capacity to capture it at the moment, and then it escaped. ¡Me encanta el monito!!