Since arriving on the beautiful North Coast of Honduras last week, we've been busy getting settled in at home and at work and enjoying catching up with all the great people here, both Honduran and American.
Here is our very cute, very functional house. The giant mangrove tree in front shades most of the house for most of the day. God always provides us with just what we need.
We planted a garden, which, after only a week, is sporting 6" tall green beans and gobs of lettuce, zucchini, and watermelon seedlings. Having just come from Montana, where weeks elapse before seedlings emerge, this is amazing. Gotta love gardening in the jungle!
We've already had our first significant plumbing problem: tree roots clogging the kitchen sink drain. Fortunately, I'm married to Josh, who has the skills to remedy such problems. He took a picture of the root ball he pulled out of it, but we'll save you all the gory details.
We live in perhaps the most beautiful yard ever. (Incidentally, the last house we lived in here in Honduras had the best shower ever. Our new place can't boast such a fancy shower, proof that you just can't have it all:o) Anyway, the yard is huge and lush and has a wall to contain the kids and dogs. At present, we have 13 chocolate lab/weimereiner dogs in the yard. Fotuntately, 11 of them are currently blind, immobile, and weigh about a pound. I think most of them are already promised to people, which is great, because in a month or two, nothing will be safe in the yard!
The wall around our yard has big windows covered by wooden shutters. Here are the girls sitting in a widow with the river in the background. Last spring, they killed a 10' 9" crocodile in that river. Apparently it ate a cow, and that was the final straw. Glad there's a wall between us and its babies:o)
The girls are still getting used to things here, especially Hadley. In the last week, she has boycotted her crib, deftly exiting it whenever she wants. When Guildy learned how to climb out of hers, I nearly panicked. I had no idea what to do. But this time, it's not so scarry. She has been getting some rather difficult Staying In Bed At Naptime lessons, but I'm sure she'll give up and not fight it soon. So no both girls sleep in the same bed, which gives them ample opportunity to kick and fight and wake each other up at about 4:30 every morning, activities they both seem to enjoy immensely. Josh might make have to make a little bed for Hadley, as we don't want to keep starting our days quite that early!
Three mornings a week the girls are with a lovely Honduran gal named Lyndi. She is a young teacher, but isn't currently working in the schools. She reads to them, plays games, works on vocabulary, etc. Guildy is picking up a lot very quickly. Hadley is mostly mad because she can't come with me, but I'm sure she'll adjust. This morning when I left, she tried to pack her sippy cup in my bag and went over to Guildy and hugged her and kissed her and said good bye. She was sorely disappointed when she had to stay, but Lyndi said she only cried for a minute and was fine, so at least I don't have to feel guilty about her crying all morning.
Well, I think that's it for now. I'd like to post more pictures, but the internet is too slow, so it will have to happen another day.
No comments:
Post a Comment