Josh's bike is an old-style "veinti-ocho," which just means 28. I think the name came from either the tire size or the frame size, but it refers to any bike of this style. Unbeknownst to Josh when he bought it, ownership of such a bike is quite the status symbol among Honduras. So wherever he goes, people comment and admire it. Note the custom built kid seat on the back.
My bike isn't quite so fancy, but it is really tricked out out. It has two kids seats, a basket, a super cushy seat and taller handle bars, all courtesy of Josh. Although you can't see it in the picture, I also have my very own machete hooked onto the frame for easy access in the event I would need to chop up something I might meet on the road, like a snake or nasty dog. And the beauty of customizing a bike in Honduras is that bike parts are ridiculously cheap, so it's both a practical and affordable endeavor.
3 comments:
Linzy - Your Honduran adventures always make me laugh. Thanks for a good update about what life is like in Honduras! Love, Jenny
love it! I customized a bike once too. Made an old bannana seat bike seat 4. One on the handle bars, two on the bananna seat and a seat in the rear. It had a bb gun holder though - no machete :)
Post a Comment