Saturday, June 02, 2012

Prairie Elk

A couple weeks ago when I was in Montana, I took the girls out to the ranch where I grew up. I hadn't been out there in about 8 years, so the girls had never seen it. 
Hadley, Talby, and Guildy standing on the catwalk along the chute. 
Very seriously assembling a horse skull and jaw bones on the way up to the Cave Hill. 

The house and buildings are all falling down, but the Cave Hill  is still the same:o)
My brother Shanon's really deep initials carved in the Cave Hill. I'm pretty sure he did this in 1985 or '86 on a  Prairie Elk School field trip. That was the one room school house we went to at that time. I remember him working on his initials long after everyone else had quit. None of my old initials are still there, and I didn't take the time to carve a new set. Maybe next time. 

Prairie Elk Creek- still red and nasty and able to kill the hardiest of cows. 

My and my brothers' hand prints on the front steps.
The maroon VW Rabbit on which I learned to drive a manual and the 1950 Ford hay truck on which I perfected  those skills:o) The old Ford looks pretty much like it did when I was driving it in junior high and still had air in the tires. I bet it wouldn't take much to get it running. 

The Ford's dash.....
 
This was the cement mixing wagon when I was a kid. 
 
The sign at Weldon junction. 

No comments: