I go walking on the road between San Luis and the hospital most mornings, and Sabel, her husband, her daughter Bacilla, and her sister-in-law Maria live in a two room house on stilts about a half mile out of town. Because they are out of town, they don’t have power or running water. They come out to the road or I go down to their house to visit a couple times a week. Sabel and Maria are both 18, and their Spanish is almost impossible for me to understand, but they don’t seem to get sick of me mangling their language and not understanding them. Bacilla is about 6 months old. This picture is of Sabel and Bacilla. Most poor Hondurans never have more than just a few pictures of their families, if any at all. Even people with more money don’t have many family pictures. Sabel doesn’t have any pictures of Bacilla, so at some point, I’m going to print some for her. We don’t have a printer, but we can borrow one I’m sure.


Here are Cinia and Marjori, the neighborhood 4-year-olds.
Marjori and her family (Lisandro, Sandra, and Ixel) used to live in the house in the background, right next door to us, but they moved last week to another much nicer house in our neighborhood. We miss not having them right next door. Sandra works as a surgery tech at the hospital and Lisardro works on a power dam construction project a few miles from here. Sandra is a tremendous cook and was always sending over samples of her cooking….tres leche (3 milk) cake, crab soup, mango jam, and on and on. I always tried to reciprocate, but somehow the cookies and stuff I would send over never seemed as exciting as her cooking.
1 comment:
Hey, Happy Anniversary from the Mews family in Oregon City! Guildy is so cute. We just had a nice visit with Linda & Doug. Linda told us about your blog. It was an impromptu, unplanned type of visit. A few weeks ago Zech and Brianna stopped by and saw us at church. Hope Guildy is feeling better.
Scott & Cathy Mews
Post a Comment